OS X – El Capitan
- Fastest Adoption rate of any PC operating system
- OS X El Capitan new name
- Focus on spolight and built in apps
- Pinned websites now a part of Safari
- Muting audio in Safari tab option
- Spotlight lets you search and get info without going into browsers (example:weather on Friday — you get it) better contextually aware results. Smarter searchex: “Slides from Brian about El Capitan”
- Spotlight also allows to search in your own words and find stuff on your desktop
- Mail has new updates — you can type in stuff like “mail I ignored from Phil” and find all messages you haven’t responded to
- Search is more intuitive
- Mission control gets update
- Mail — you can drag and drop photos, links etc. from one message or website to another in full screen.
- You can have Tabs in Mail
- Side by side windows — split screen can adjust sizes
Performance in El Capitan
- 4x as fast app launch,
- 2x as fast app switching.
- Mail launch 2x As fast
- PDF launch 4x as fast
- Metal — a way to accelerate graphics in high performance games. Introduced last year but it’s now coming back to the Mac.
OS X El Capitan Release Date
- Public beta available in July
- Developers get El Capitan today
- Public release in September
- Siri has updated UI
- Better reminders “Remind me to get my coffe off my car before I leave”
- Proactive announced – your phone learns about you and predicts what you want (ex: run with music every morning? Siri learns and offers now playing instantly, or audio book in the car etc.)
- Automatically puts appointments in calendar, reminds you and gives traffic conditions
- Phone can look in email for unknown numbers and suggest on incoming call screen
- Search – Siri offers suggestion such as people or Apps you might want to use based on upcoming appointments, new apps unused etc.
- You can search sports scores, popular videos. Get descriptive cards and play directly from there.
- There is now an API for search so when a user performs a search you can find content an they get deep linked into app
- Convenient back links to easily return to search.
Privacy in iOS 9
- Everything in proactive done on your device and is private.
- If something is searched – like traffic conditions — it is anonymous, not linked to your account/ Apple ID, randomized identifier, not linked to other Apple services. Not shared with third parties. You’re in control.
- Discover joins Apple in Apple Pay.
- Tons of new retailers including Trader Joe’s, JC Penny’s and more.
- Lots of apps adding Apple Pay support — ex: Etsy
- Buyable pins from Pinterest
- Apple Pay comes to UK in July
- Ability to pay for public transit in UK with Apple Pay
- Rewards Cards coming to Apple Pay
- Renamed Wallet
- Now can add checklists
- Now has ability to draw in notes
- You can link pages into notes from the share link
- Adds transit
- Adds info like time to travel from where you actually are to where you need to be
- Siri integrated
- Searching in maps now lets you find locations nearby by just tapping
- It will also tell you if the merchant supports Apple Pay
- Creates personalized feed of your favorite news groups.
- Beautiful images, typography, video clips built in.
- Get to new articles by just swiping.
- Photo galleries inline
- Animations embedded.
- Can bookmark things to read later
- Data and stats, rich infographics
- News is smart s the more I read the more it gets to know what I’ll want to read
- Explore can suggest topics and new news sources I might like
- Favorites are a great place to store favorite news sources to read them alone as opposed to the stream of everything you like.
iPad updates in iOS 9
Quick type keyboard introduced
- Shortcuts bar with cut, paste, insert etc.
- Two fingers down on keyboard turn it into a trackpad to edit on screen
- Shortcuts for app switchings, search etc.
- Gorgeous new multitask view/ task switcher, full screen previews of apps. Finger-swipe from the slide brings in an app, “SlideOver”
- Swipe upper right hand corner and get app switcher you can pull into a second split screen.
- Split screen can be sized
- Picture in Picture added
- Adds support for Window Shades, CO sensors, motion sensors, security systems. You can access your home remotely and securely through iCloud.
- Two-factor authentication to protect data in iCloud.
- New Low-Power Mode
- “Pulls levers you didn’t know existed.” Extends battery life for 3 hours.
iOS 9 Public Beta
- Releases in July
- Swift goes open source.
Apple Watch OS 2
- Improvements in timepiece – adding new watch faces.
- New photos face. Can add an album that changes the photo you see every time you raise your wrists.
- Has time lapse watch face so that if you set a location you can see what it looks like at that time of day
- Developers can now make their own complications and users can customize this way.
- Time Travel – which will let you go forward or backward in time and see what you have coming up.Future information like weather, upcoming meeting etc. Watch OS 2 will have
- New User Interface called Night Stand Mode –you can have anight stand view, set an alarm etc while charging.
- Communication – you can add different sets of friends (ex: school friends, work friends etc.)
- Reply to email on watch.
- Facetime Audio calls received
- Colored drawings
- Favorite fitness apps can now run natively on atch and contribute to all day activity.
- Watch gets all the updates from Apple Pay like reward cards
- Maps update so you see transit lines on wrist.
- Siri can give best transit directions
- Siri works from that to control HomeKit as well
- You can ask Siri for any glances.
- Now able to make native apps for the Watch
- playback through watch speaker or bluetooth
- you can playback video on watchface
- you can access microphone
- Health kit data accessible
- HomeKit natively on watch
- Accelerometer access
- Access to Taptic engine — range of feelings and audio to come out on speaker.
- Enable access to digital crown to manioulate device
- My Music – up next cue, purchased music etc. You can also search and stream any song on iTunes. “For You” section tailors suggestions to what your taste is.
- Beats 1 – New 24/7 radio station, Beats One. Anchored by famous DJ’s from LA, New York and London.
- Connect – Connecting fans with artists, including new and unsigned artists. Artist can share with bands their lyrics, sound bytes, videos, photos etc.
- Add your own artwork to playlists
- For you helps figure out what you like by having you pick generes, then artists, pull it together along with playlists and songs you’ve bought on iTunes to make a ‘For You” playlist.
- You can move songs around on playlist.
- If a “For You” playlist is added that you really love, you can press on it and add it to “My Playlists” to save it.
- Top Charts
- You can see top songs, videos and albums
- Siri in Apple Music
- Siri is learning more about music