Table of contents
Amazon Web Services is counted amongst top-notch cloud service providers known for its comprehensive, evolutionary and innovative approach. Launched in 2006, AWS has not known looking back. . At re:Invent’s annual developer conference held on October 8, 2015, Amazon CTO Werner Vogels announced AWS IoT.
AWS IoT is a platform where devices connect to AWS services, and the data gathered is stored, processed, analyzed and used by companies on a global scale. The devices connected to AWS services are operated using applications which communicate with them via APIs.
According to Jeff Barr, Chief Evangelist of Amazon, market trends like mass-produced computer power, extensive IP connectivity and big data favors AWS IoT. Also advancements in sensor technology has enabled Internet of Things to a great extent.
Amazon web services has defined six components that forms part of their Internet of Things’ platform. All the components used are created using AWS Management Console, AWS CLI or through IoT API. They are:
– Things: Devices of any shape, size and nature can be used as things. Also it can include applications, connected devices and physical objects.
– Things Shadow: These are virtual, cloud-based representation of things. Shadows track the state of each connected device and allow tracking even in case of connectivity loss.
– Rules Engine: It transforms messages based on expressions which a user defines. The transformed messages are routed to AWS endpoints like Amazon S3, Amazon Kinesis, AWS Lambda, SNS and Amazon DynamoDB.
– Message Broker: Speaks MQTT ( a messaging protocol used on top of Internet protocol suite) so that the devices can have an alternative protocol in case the cloud backend doesn’t speak. It can scale to accommodate several connections between things and cloud applications.
– Device SDKs: These are client libraries which are specific for every individual device. It allows code running on the device to communicate with AWS IoT Message Broker over encrypted connections.
– Thing Registry: Used for identifying each thing connected to AWS.
Amazon Web Services offer various components that serves all the functions of a mobile application development back-end infrastructure. Although BaaS is considered as an alternative for cloud computing, the features provided by them includes only user management, push notifications and integration with social networking services. Also when compared to AWS, BaaS is well-suited for small to medium data sized applications.
AWS proves to be a suitable platform for heavy data applications where one can forsake all the worries about infrastructure management.
“The promise of the Internet of Things is to make everyday products smarter for consumers, and for businesses to enable better, data-driven offerings that weren’t possible before. Now, AWS IoT enables a whole ecosystem of manufacturers, service providers, and application developers to easily connect their products to the cloud at scale, take action on the data they collect, and create a new class of applications that interact with the physical world.”
And of course, this time Internet of Things it is.
Share this Article