Google addressed lollipop as project of Volta . Volta seeks to conserve power and give device owners greater control. You can see battery percentage and more detail on what apps or processes are consuming your battery power. You can set your device to battery saver mode manually or set it to turn on at a certain percentage of battery remaining. The battery saver mode will turn off certain Android animations, slow the CPU, lower the refresh rate and make tweaks to app synchronizations.
Google introduce new job scheduling apis.New job scheduling APIs allow you optimize battery life by deferring jobs for the system to run at a later time or under specified conditions, such as when the device is charging or connected to Wi-Fi. lollipop will show battery usages data in graphical or statistical manner.
Material Design replaces Standard theme holo from android. It changes look and feel of basic components. It simply materialize 2D components to 3D components.
Material Theme : The material theme provides a new style for your app, system widgets that let you set their color palette,and default animations for touch feedback and activity transitions. Google has provided specific recommendations on color use in apps, including how to choose the main and accent colors for your apps.
Views Shadow : In addition to the X and Y properties, views in Android now have a Z property. Elevation property for each element on the screen are designed to give a sense of depth and layers.
Animations : The new animation APIs let you create custom animations for touch feedback in UI controls, changes in view state, and activity transitions. Google developer’s calling this motion an “authentic Motion”.
Notifications in Android 5.0 are more visible, accessible, and configurable. Google changes notification systems in lollipop.
- Notifications are Visible on lock Screen.
- User can set notification visibility according to its sensitive content.
- Android 5.0 uses metadata associated with your app notifications to sort the notifications more intelligently.
High performance graphics are introduce in lollipop.
- Android 5.0 also introduces the Android Extension Pack (AEP), a set of OpenGL ES extensions that give you access to many Game oriented features.
- Support for Khronos OpenGL ES 3.1 now provides games and other apps the highest-performance 2D and 3D graphics capabilities on supported devices.
Chromium Web View :-
This is something which is very interesting in Web view UI element of android.Android 5.0 updates the WebView implementation to Chromium M37, bringing security and stability enhancements, as well as bug fixes.
- onShowFileChosser() : New File Chooser option from the web View.Developer can open files like images etc in web View with help of new method onShowFileChooser().
- Permission request class : This class allows or restrict you application to user various component(like camera and microphone0) in the Web View .
- Support for the WebAudio , WebGl and WebRTC.
Wireless and Connectivity:-
Multiple network Connections:
This is api let your app dynamically scan for available networks with specific capabilities, and establish a connection to them.
Bluetooth low Energy:
This new Api allow your application to perform concurrent task(Scanning and sending).
NFC (Near field communication):
NFC APIs now allow apps to register an NFC application ID (AID) dynamically. They can also set the preferred card emulation service per active service and create an NDEF record containing UTF-8 text data.
- Newly Added Camera APIs.
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
- multimedia tunneling to provide the best experience for ultra-high definition (4K) content and the ability to play compressed audio and video data together.
- more powerful audio features
- Sensors: tilt detector,heart rate sensor and new Interaction composite sensors are now available to detect special interactions such as a wake up gesture, a pick upgesture, and a glance gesture.
- now with user permission, developer is able to send captured non videos screen(Screen Shorts) over the network
- Android 5.0 introduces a redesigned Overview space (formerly called Recents) that’s more versatile and useful for multitasking. New APIs allow you to show separate activities in your app as individual documents alongside other recent screens.